Insulating finished attic area/Venting Problems

Old 01-22-13, 01:45 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulating finished attic area/Venting Problems

I'm looking for a little input on a problem I'm having with a recently purchased home. The home consists of a two story addition attached to what was once a small one story cottage with an attic. The previous owners had finished the attic area and opened a doorway between the attic and the upstairs bedroom in the addition.

Not long after purchasing it, I discovered they had completely failed to insulate portions of this attic space and, in the portions they did insulate, they completely blocked the soffit vents and left no room for airflow. So far, I've torn out all of their insulation, sprayed everything down with concrobium to kill the mold that I predictably found, run ventilation channels from the peak of the roof down past the knee wall and re-insulated most of the roof and the knee walls. My plan is to have someone come in and install a ridge vent once I finish all that, however, I've run into an unexpected new problem. On one side of the house, they completely sealed about 2/3rds of the soffit vents with wood. If I have a ridge vent put in and have ventilation channels from behind the kneewall to the ridge vent but do not have soffit vents on one side, will there still be some airflow to prevent humidity from building up? If not, any suggestions on how one would proceed? Thanks.

Old 01-22-13, 02:29 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If you are saying that one side has no low (soffit) venting, then you will need to provide some in some manner. Can you remove some of the blocking or drill holes in it (the bigger the better).

The amount of venting you need is directly related to the amount of moisture (air leaks) from the house below. Side attics and sloping roof lines are notorious for sneaky air paths to vent into the attic.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: