Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

soooooo ccccccccold.........

VA

01-25-13, 10:43 PM   #1  
soooooo ccccccccold.........

Hello all,
I hope you can help me with an ongoing temperature issue I have been having since we bought this house.
Background:
3 story home about 7 years old. Third floor is half finished as a bonus room the other half contains hvac equip and ducting and is unfinished.
This unfinished part is directly above the master bedroom suite and is responsible for a consistent 5-10 degree difference in temp during the winter and summer months.
Roof is A frame and unfinished area is the exact same temp as outside due to gable venting and soffit vents.
I have laid down a second layer of r-30 in the opposite direction of the original r-16 on the floor of this space but i cant really tell a difference.
The duct work is the soft accordian style with insulation but absorbs the ambient temp almost immediately (I know this because it blows icy for about 30 seconds before warming up in the winter and opposite in the summer).
Please please please, what else should i do? More insulation? Box in the air handler and ductwork?
Help!
Sorry for the book and thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

01-26-13, 06:48 AM   #2  
The first suggestion I would have is to run the HVAC thermostat on "circulate" or manually turn your fan to "on". When the furnace or A/C isn't running the temperature difference between rooms/floors will just even greater. Running the fan is step one in acclimating all rooms as close as possible. Very easy to do, people should do it more often, especially in winter.

It's possible your units may not be sized or zoned as needed due to the many levels and additions, so that's a possibility as well- asking a unit to perform equally in all areas, doing a job it wasn't designed for.

Your ductwork sounds like it performs normally. If it's ICY, as you say, then there may be some air leakage (wind blowing into the walls/floors) that's probably impossible to access without completely tearing out drywall and such.

VA

01-26-13, 09:15 AM   #3  
XSleeper,
Thanks for the response. I can try the fan to recirculate.
Also, please understand that the ductwork is laying on the floor of the unfinished attic space and the air handler is also in this unfinished space.
I only reiterate this because i am trying to determine if there is additional work i need/can do to the unfinished space to help with the temp difference.

Group Moderator

NE

01-26-13, 11:06 AM   #4  
I see. I know that in some places they actually will build an insulated room for the unit so that it can be inside a conditioned room, which might help with its efficiency. I can see how that would make for a few seconds of icy air.

Perhaps if you posted pictures or gave specifics on the unit you have up there, someone more suited for this question could give you specific answers about any improvements you could make.

Search this Thread