basement wall framing and insulation questions

Old 01-29-13, 09:36 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
basement wall framing and insulation questions

Dad built house in 1953, insulated walls with newspaper and paneled in the 70's. Never had a cold air problem until I removed the newspaper and paneling to change paneling after drain tiling. ( dad was a plasterer so ceiling is popcorn-stucco?)
My bsmt wall is block with partial wood frame around it, not 2x4 but thinner, no wood going paralell along floor, maybe due to interior drain tiling which was done in early 90's do to water coming in walk out door, no water since then. I re-insulated walls with pink styrofoam (pink Panther) but didn't go all the way down to where the drain tiling black rubber strip runs along the floor so very cold air gets in. I did put plastic over styrofoam but didn's attach it at the floor (due to no wood there). Can anyone tell me what to do to re-do these 2 exterior walls. What type of insulation should I be using and how do I attach wood to cement block and do I need special tape for seams of plastic vapor barrier? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-29-13, 09:50 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi tryshard and welcome to the forum.

I'm just digging through a paper, you know, one of those that has far more information than anyone ever wants, but I did find some to be very on topic. Much has to do with new construction, but the first couple of examples deal with what most of us have. I'll let you read:
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis

There are two sources of moisture, that which comes through the walls, vapor or water, and that which forms on the interior surface as condensation. The latter is where you need to keep inside air away from the walls and keep the surfaces it can get to warm enough to avoid condensation.

This one is a little easier to dig through. BSD-103: Understanding Basements — Building Science Information

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: