Insulating a Garage

Old 02-13-13, 06:17 PM
Insulating a Garage

I've finally finished insulating the walls of my garage, and now it's time to do the ceiling. I just want to lay the insulation down on the ceiling betewwen the joists. Do I need faced or unfaced and if faced do I lay it face down toward the inside of the garage? What R value should I be looking for? Lastly, should I put a vent channel in each ceiling bay for ventilation of the space?

There's no permanent heat in the garage, just a kerosene heater I use when working on restoring my old car. I'd just like to add the insulation to keep it a little bit warmer out there. I'm in the Chicago area so it's cold here and if I could get it to stay around 50-60 degree in there I'll be happy.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-13, 06:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What's above the garage ceiling? Attic, living space, roof? That'll make a difference how you insulate and vapor-barrier.

Old 02-14-13, 12:40 PM
I guess you could call it an attic, but it's only 2 X 4 framing so nothing is going to be stored up there. It'll just be an empty space.

Old 02-14-13, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
I would put poly down over the joists and unfaced (or blown in) insulation on top of that. Face insulation with the face down would be fine as well. The idea is the vapor barrier goes to the warm side of the surface, which is next to the drywall for you.

Old 02-14-13, 01:46 PM
Thought it went face down, but just wanted to make sure.

What R value would you suggest? I'd like to get it between 50 - 60 inside when its 20 - 30 outside. I have a small kerosene heater, and, *%^&@$%, I've forgotten how many BTUs it puts out! I think it's good enough to heat 400 - 800 sq. ft. which fits my garage but who knows what temperature the manufacturer says is warm!? This gettin' old stuff is for the birds!

Search this Thread