Blue foam board insulation over fireplace?

Old 02-16-13, 03:31 PM
Blue foam board insulation over fireplace?

Hello everyone

First time poster here with a simple question.

Can I put Styrospan (blue foam board insulation) directly onto the brick of a wood burning, masonary chimney?

I'm finishing the basement and above the mantle of the fireplace is just rough, grey, brick. It was previously covered with panelling and no insulation but I've removed all of the panelling and want to drywall above the mantle level. Since I have to build out the wall by 2" to hide the gas pipe (along the ceiling) I will have 2 inches of space to insulate the chimney. The fireplace won't be used very often so most of the time that brick will be cold and my thought was to put 2 inches of blue foam board onto it then vapour barrier plastic then drywall. Is this OK?

The spec sheet for the "Styrospan" says:

"FIRE information STYROSPAN Insulation is combustible; protect from high heat sources."

Maximum Use Temperature, 165F (74C)

How hot will those bricks above the mantle get? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

JayArr

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-13, 04:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Is the complete chimney brick lined or do you have a metal flue pipe running the entire length to the top?

Old 02-16-13, 04:16 PM
Hi Chandler

It's a dual chimney, the fireplace in the pic is downstairs and it uses the right hand side and it is still just clay lined brick for wood burning. Directly above in the main living room is another fireplace that uses the left side of the stack and it's been converted to a natural gas insert and there is a metal liner for it.

Jeff

Old 02-17-13, 03:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You won't be experiencing any heat from the fireplace into the block, but being from Canada, I would check with local codes to see if they would approve of the addition of foam on such a surface. If it were me, I would do my framing and install Roxul insulation between the studs/framing members. It is fire resistant and water resistant, with superb insulating qualities. I am not a fan of the lower R value foam boards. You would be correct in adding a vapor barrier then sheetrock, except with the foam board, which is a vapor barrier in itself.

Search this Thread