Vermiculite in the walls

Old 04-23-13, 02:19 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vermiculite in the walls

Separated from Greetings and Question...

I too recently had a thermal assessment in Mass., which found that I have practically zero insulation in my walls. But what I do have in there is vermiculite. I had it tested (from the attic) when I bought the house 7 years ago, and I had it retested from the walls (today!) and both times showed zero asbestos. But the massive program that will help pay for insulation still won't go near it nor will a number of other insulation companies I called. I could just leave it as is but I want to fill the voids in my walls. I want to blow cellulose over it. The problem with doing it solo is that it's hard to fill all the voids unless you have "the touch" I'm told. The problem with relying on a professional is .... no one will do it.

Mod Note: I moved this question to its own thread to avoid confusing the replies to two different situations.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 04-23-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-23-13, 09:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums, John.

This sounds like a classic Catch-22. Have you asked the company or utility that did your energy audit for a list of the contractors who do this work?

Also, do you already have adequate insulation and ventilation in your attic?

Old 04-25-13, 06:55 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
John, where did you have it tested? If it is certified asbestos free, then it can be removed with no problem. But, I would expect testing to take several days, unless you have a test facility right close by. Libby Montana was the source of the contaminated vermiculite and we are about as far away as one can get. There are also vermiculite mines in Canada and elsewhere that may have provided the product for your house. Watch for any empty bags left in the attic with the name of the source.

If the testing meets state standards and it is clean, then I would push them on going forward. The other approach would be to talk to a remediation company and see how they would approach removing what is there so the problem is gone for good. They can also provide certification the house is clean. Then you should qualify for even more new insulation.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: