Block wall insulation

Old 02-14-01, 07:15 PM
Visiting Guest
I've just purchased a block constructed home that is covered with some old style aluminum siding. At some point soon I plan to update the outside appearance possibly with more contemporary siding. I'd like to take that opportunity to apply some sort of insulation on the walls as I believe there really isn't anything there at all. The inside perimeter walls appear to have drywall applied directly to the block. There are mildew stains predominently along the lower portions by the floor. I assume this is moisture wicking through the block. The house is on a foundation with a crawl space. I need some suggestions to remedy both situations. This past December in Michigan was a killer heat cost wise and natural gas prices are poised to double before next winter. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-01, 11:07 PM
Visiting Guest
another option

I also have a block house I just purchased and am considering to update the outside. This is just a suggestion, but instead of siding, check into dryvit. The product is about $1.30 a square foot for the product. If your going to put a backer board on the siding, with that cost and the cost of siding, dryvit is less expensive. The R-value on 1" dryvit foam is about 7, I've been told that's more than 3/4" backer board. Just a suggestion.