Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

insulating raised ranch/converting garage to living space

Old 08-11-13, 02:41 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all, looking for a wider pool of expert opinions before we bite off more than we can chew.

My fiance and I are looking at purchasing our first home, and were shown this: ******************
The living space is entirely above a double length, two bay garage. So, there's no formal entrance, it's tiny, and the floors are at the mercy of the garage. The garage ceiling/house floor is "insulated" by some unknown fiberglass strips, paper side down, stapled to the ceiling with no drywall or other covering. The garage walls are also not insulated. If we wanted this place, the first thing we would have to do is somehow weatherproof.

Any suggestions on what would be done to the ceiling in that case? Would we install a ceiling and then blow/spray? Same with the walls?

Additionally, the only reason we didn't laugh and walk away from such an oddball of a house is because I was seized by the idea of converting the garage into living space, ie, convert this into a two story house. Has anyone tried to do this? Is it a completely harebrained idea? Would I ever get it to be comfortable? The market here is very poor, and the lot this house is on is great. If it's just time and money and headaches, we want to consider it. If it's a living nightmare that won't even result in a nice house... we don't.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-11-13 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Removed link
Old 08-11-13, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 400 Upvotes on 327 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I removed the link with the address, as it's not a good idea to post that on any forum. Very dangerous should you buy the house.

If you can, just take a couple of pics and post them. Perhaps those in the know, can help you without pics for now.

Old 08-11-13, 03:21 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
For one it sounds like the insulation is up side down.
#2 It would not meet modern codes because there's no 5/8 fire rated sheet rock between the living space and the garage.

Old 08-11-13, 08:32 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
To isolate the garage from the conditioned space, as the house is now, you need to install the appropriate amount if insulation, with a vapor barrier on the side next to the conditioned space ans cover that with a minimum of 5/8" fire rated gypsum board, taped and sealed. as Joe suggested.

If you want to convert the garage to living space, you only need insulation between the floots to dampen sound.

What is the height to the bottom of the joists in the garage? Pictures would help. See How To Include Pictures.

Old 08-12-13, 02:35 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you. We're going back to see the house tonight, I'll be back with pictures.

We're thinking, since it's September already, that we will have to separate it from the living space now, for winter, then renovate in the spring. Is that just making extra work for us?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: