Can't Insulate All Walls of Basement - Problem?

Old 08-25-13, 01:19 PM
Can't Insulate All Walls of Basement - Problem?

Hey guys. I'm about to start remodeling my basement. It's a new home with a walkout basement. Haven't decided if I'm going to use XPS or hire someone to spray closed cell foam. Regardless, the stairs from the main floor sit directly against the poured foundation wall. Because of code, I can't make the stairs more narrow to create space for insulation/wall. Given that fact, what's your advice on insulating the room as a whole? I'll only be able to insulate 3 of the 4 walls. The wall that I can't insulate sits adjacent to the garage so it's completely below ground. I've read that if I can't do all 4 walls then I shouldn't bother doing any. Thoughts?

(Side note/rant: why do contractors install stairs against the foundation?!? Ugh!)

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-13, 04:47 PM
Bump... no responses at all?

Old 08-28-13, 08:46 AM
Not sure why you didn't get a reply sooner. Sorry 'bout that.

What if you enclosed the stairs with an insulated wall? But if the one next to the stairs is completely below grade it probably won't pay you to put insulation there anyway.

Now, why do you want to insulate these walls at all? What parts of your basement walls are above grade?

Old 08-29-13, 08:56 PM
The garage will act as a buffer for the seasonal temperature swings on that wall. The above grade areas would be same temp as outside air unless HVAC, air-tight garage doors, insulated non-house walls, etc. If you have any capillary draw of the soil to that wall, install thin fb. (air-tight PIC); any insulation is an improvement when in a heating climate; http://www.quadlock.com/technical_li...Insulation.pdf insulate the garage side of the above slab areas.

The main level stair wall (5-1/2") is usually flush or slightly offset from thicker concrete wall below (8"). You would have a floor ledge above or double wall to get required thickness; (and still flush-out)- cost prohibitive for builder.

Gary

Old 10-31-13, 03:35 PM
Getting closer to the project. I actually just finished back surgery so it's being pushed for a few months... ugh. Anyway, thanks for the responses. Glad to hear that the garage area will be enough. I thought about installing brick veneer on that wall to make it resemble a rustic brick wall. Now I'm doing my research on potentially using Roxul Comfortboard vs. XPS. Seems so much easier to use. It appears though that you can't trust the DIY videos from the Roxul company. They recommend installing the comfortboard directly on the foundation wall followed by a vapor barrier. It's a shame because I like the green nature of the product. It seems most of the foam products, while effective, are not very environmentally friendly. Is it a complete no-no to follow the Roxul guidelines as explained above?