Need help insulating an open floor plan cabin!!

Old 09-24-13, 08:51 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help insulating an open floor plan cabin!!

I have a camp up in the adirondacks and wanted to insulate it this year rather then freezing all winter long when im up snowmobiling. Its an open floor plan 800 sq. ft and i have a wood burning stove as my heat source. The rafters are exposed so i was trying to come up with the most efficient and affordable way to insulate the roof. I was thinking of using the reflective insulation and stapling it right to the rafters going horizontal and taping the seams. This would leave a gap between the plywood and the insulation for plenty of ventilation from the soffit up to the ridge vent. Only thing is the reflective insulation is pretty pricey. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-29-13, 02:01 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Radiant barrier will do little compared to cavity insulation build. Are there ceiling joists? Picture would help...

Gary

Old 09-29-13, 03:46 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sounds like an unfinished cabin. I've never heard of open rafters AND soffit & ridge venting. How wide are the rafters & how far apart? Do you want to keep the open ceiling? You'll get much better results in winter AND summer if you put in a proper ceiling with insulation blanket above...or enclose the rafters with insulation above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: