Insulation in basementish area

Old 09-29-13, 05:47 AM
Insulation in basementish area

I have an attached garage, the old garage used to be under the house, there was a garage door on the side of the house which went into the basement.

I have framed in a 13x8 room that is now technically ppart of the attached garage but using basement space with no door in between the garage and the basement. I use this room to park my 2 lawn tractors.

This room is directly below a bedroom in the house. I have purchased some R21 kraft faced insulation to insulate the ceiling of this section of basement which is subjected to weather changes being "part" of the garage.

I am having trouble determining how this insulation should be installed. I do not plan to drywall this ceiling at any time in the near future.

Should the kraft face the basement floor or the floor above it? The floor joists are 2x10, R21 has a thickness of 5 1/4. If i install the insulation kraft up there will be a 4inch gap below the insulation, if i install it kraft down there will be a 4 inch gap between the insulation and the floor above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-13, 01:57 PM
The garage (if used as one with gasoline storage/equipment) requires 5/8" Type X drywall at ceiling to living spaces, probably 1/2" on all walls, check locally. The facing should be up toward the heated room if needed at all- eg. Fig.7; BSI-009: New Light In Crawlspaces — Building Science Information Fire-rated man door is also required.

Gary

Old 09-30-13, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition, the fire rated man door must have an automatic closer, either hinge type or piston type.

Old 09-30-13, 01:35 PM
Self-closing is a good idea though may not be required per code, always check locally; Attached Garage Fire Containment - InterNACHI

Gary