installing floor in garage attic

Old 10-07-13, 10:55 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing floor in garage attic

I am in the process of putting a floor in my garage attic so we can have more storage in our house. The ceiling of the garage is already dry-walled. Then above the drywall is a plastic vapor barrier then the joists that the drywall is screwed into. I laid insulation down in between the joists and am going to put plywood on the joists for a floor. My question is do I need to add another plastic vapor barrier between the insulation and the plywood? I got conflicting answers from friends.
Thanks
Mike

Old 10-07-13, 11:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

No, you have the vapor barrier you need, don't add another one.

Are you sure you can support having the weight up there? What's the structure of the garage ceiling/attic floor?

Old 10-07-13, 11:09 AM
D
Thanks for the reply. The ceiling/attic floor is made up of several trusses 24" on center and 25' long. The boards on the bottom are 2x4's. The trusses look like this picture: http://www.homeadditionplus.com/imag...%20Truss_1.jpg Are there any other details you need?
I know I won't be able to put a whole lot of weight up there. But I would like to put some stuff up there to make more room in our garage. My friend and I were both up there walking around (on the trusses of course) and we both weigh about 200 lbs.
Thanks

Old 10-07-13, 11:28 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Trusses like that are not designed for any top loading.

Old 10-07-13, 11:45 AM
D
Well, I will only be storing light items and I will spread it out well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: