Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

question on vapor barrier with drywall

NY

10-11-13, 11:36 AM   #1  
question on vapor barrier with drywall

I just gutted my mud room thats off my garage. Walls are 2x4.Plan is to use 50 year caulk all joints and use r15 Roxul Stone Wool Insulation and then stapple Reflectix Reflective Insulation with both sides being reflective to the face of the 2x4 on the inside, over lap and tape all joints. Can I nail the drywall/green board right the 2x4. Maining there will be no air gab from the drywall to the Relfectix. Will this be fine? The mud room is opened to be basement also.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

10-11-13, 02:32 PM   #2  
I would suggest you refer to the Reflectix web site for specific information on their installation practices. Specific questions can be asked directly to the mfg, using their contact information at the bottom of that web page.

WA

10-11-13, 09:08 PM   #3  
As you may have read, that product requires an air gap to be effective. You don't want an air gap in your thermal barrier wall there for convective looping, degrading your insulation, pp.43-48and studs thermal bridging, pp.39;http://www.buildingscienceconsulting...Measure_Up.pdf

IMO, spend the money on foamboard rather than RB. NY; Zone 4, 5, or 6; take your pick; 2009 IECC Climate Zone Map - New York

Foamboard thickness; IRC FAQ: Insulating Sheathing Vapor Retarder Requirements — Building Science Information

Gary

Search this Thread