Do I need a vapor barrier?

Old 10-14-13, 11:04 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do I need a vapor barrier?

I have a quad and I'm putting drywall up in the first level basement. Two walls are half way below ground. The third wall (with slider) is, of course above ground. I live in central Illinois. I've ripped some of the paneling off of the south wall and it had a vapor barrier. There was moisture trapped in this wall causing the furring strips to come loose.

Any advice? I'm guessing furring strips coming loose is a good argument for not putting up a vapor barrier.

Thanks

Old 10-14-13, 07:42 PM
G
Yep, no poly (Class 1) vb below grade for your location; Chapter 6 - Wall Construction

BSD-103: Understanding Basements — Building Science Information

Gary

Old 10-15-13, 10:29 AM
F
Thanks Gary,

So, I should be ok just taking out the sheeting and putting the drywall back up if all is in good shape? All it had between the fur strips was old styrofoam insulation.

I was also considering pulling the old stuff down, putting up rigid foam and then framing a wall on top of the foam. Just not sure the expense of that is worth it since I don't heat or cool that floor with the HVAC system. I heat with a stove in the winter and it stays cool enough in the summer on its own.

Old 10-19-13, 09:15 PM
G
Cheap heat, your decision.... Add some fb to slow the inward moisture drive and control the RH condensing dew-point on the fb inside face, per location Zone; 2009 IECC Climate Zone Map - Illinois

IRC FAQ: Insulating Sheathing Vapor Retarder Requirements — Building Science Information

Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: