Insulating the walls in an older home

Old 10-15-13, 01:40 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulating the walls in an older home

My house was built in 1946 to house the workers at the Bell Bomber plant in Marietta, GA. The electic in the house is up to code, but just barely. I am scared to put in blown in insulation for fear of opening a can of worms with the wiring. Additionally I'm also scared of tearing out sheetrock, putting in insulation and putting sheetrock back up. So basically I'm looking for an exterior fix for the winter time. I have good windows and will add additional weather proofing to them and the entrance door. However, I need recommendations for the walls. I had thought about building boxes with fabric and mylar to create dead air space that could be hung on the inside walls. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Kelle23

Old 10-15-13, 01:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What kind of wiring do you have?

Old 10-15-13, 03:03 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm really not sure what kind of wiring I have. The house was built in 1946 if that helps at all. Before I bought they house they had to install a new breaker box to bring it up to code. I know there's not a big enough capacity because I can't run my dishwasher and microwave at the same time. I also can't run a space heater off of any outlets other then the new ones in my cat's room. I've been told by neighbors that the wiring inside the walls is sketchy at best so I am going off of their feedback.

Old 10-15-13, 05:18 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Got to get that wiring right before doing anything.
No way would it be up to modern day codes and be tripping breakers with those loads.
Your idea of the Mylar and fabric makes 0 since to me.

Old 10-16-13, 09:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
If the wiring is an issue, get that resolved. I'd rather have a cold house than be warmed temporarily by a house fire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: