vapor barrier or no vapor barrier

Old 10-22-13, 03:55 AM
vapor barrier or no vapor barrier

Am adding on to my house (a family room) and have chosen to install hardwood on the ceiling. Do I need to install a vapor barrier to the ceiling prior to installing the hardwood? I live in ND

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-13, 02:38 PM
Welcome to the forums!

The important points in keeping your rooms comfortable are adequate insulation above the ceiling, adequate ventilation above that to keep the insulation dry and effective, and an effective air seal between the rooms and the attic.

What type of hardwood product are you planning to use and how are you planning to air-seal the ceiling, either as part of the hardwood installation or above it?

Old 10-27-13, 10:58 AM
New room.

The important thing is, what will be above the ceiling?
As you probably realize whatever heat you put into the room, will create a circulation that will rise from the heating source cross the ceiling, drop down the far walls and cross the floor back to the heat source.

As it does that, it is loosing heat to the outside or gaining heat, - how much heat is lost or gained depends on how well the room is insulated. And from that will result in either a large or small heating and cooling bill.