Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

adding insulation over finished garage/below bedrooms

adding insulation over finished garage/below bedrooms

Old 02-22-01, 02:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

The floors in my bedrooms over my garage get cold, and I would like to add insulation to them from the garage ceiling (which is finished w/ gyp. bd.). What is the best way to do this without totally demolishing the finished clg.?

The way I figure it, I can cut a hole anb blow insulation in or maybe cut a 12" row of gyp out of the clg. across the entire width of the garage and "stuff" batt insulation into the cavity.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-01, 05:06 PM
Figure out exactly what you are dealing with, FIRST. I would guess that the joists between the garage ceiling and bedroom floor is a 2X10 or 2X12. How much, if any, insulation is in that cavity already? Need to know that before you can go any farther. If it's a 2X10 with R-30, or a 2X12 with R-38 already in there, you're done. Trying to add more insulation will only compress what's already there, and that will LOWER the overall "R" value of the insulation. Bore a 1-1/2" to 2" hole in the garage ceiling so you can determine how big the joists are and how much, if any, insulation is already there, then get back to us.