Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Cape Cod on concrete slab with furnace in attic behind knee wall...help

Old 10-29-13, 08:22 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I'm sort of in a mess at exactly what to do with this situation. I've already demo'd and redone the whole first floor and insulated all the outside walls. I also, dug down 3ft outside and put footer drains and provided r10 xps insulation on the outside block to keep the floor warmer. All of this is great and all and the downstairs turned out nice but the upstairs is sort of a different problem in itself.

As it stands the whole upstairs is gutted. I have this old 1992 gas furnace that someone decided to put up there along with taking out a 1/4 section of the supporting knee wall just to get it in there. I know, a mess indeed. My goal is to get that furnace out of there and start over somehow. I decided I would like to go with closed cell spray foam from one end of the rafters to the other all the way behind the knee wall to seal everything in as its really hot up there in the summer etc. I'm currently in the process of adding some insulation to the floor behind the knee walls right now and air sealing the joist's underneath from the information I've been reading online about how to insulation cape cod's.

However, everywhere I look about people talking about cape cod's doesn't account for the fact that mine is on a concrete slab colder floors with flex duct lines in the ceilings of the first floor. My heat is coming from the top and going right up through the ceiling. So obviously my question is should I insulate the ceiling on the first floor all the way through with r19 or just allow the air to flow right up there? I do plan on taking that furnace out and I'm sort of leaning more towards just doing ductless heat pumps. Or buying a new furnace with a better location somehow. The house is small about 1000 sq ft. As it stands, I'm not using the upstairs (until i spray foam closed cell) besides for the washer/dryer. Yep they person who lived here back in the day decided to put everything upstairs including electric water heater, but really didn't know what he was doing with insulation among other things. Any help would really be appreciated.

Old 10-31-13, 07:15 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please see the pictures from this link of the situation. Advise greatly appreciated.

Insulate House Built On Concrete Slab. Please Help - Insulation - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: