insulating garage

Old 02-23-01, 11:08 AM
spffymffy
Visiting Guest
what type insulation and r-rating is best for an unheated garage it is attatched to the house but the ceiling
and two outside wall are bare with just a vapor barrior. also what type drywall should i use on the ceiling and exterior walls. what should i use on the garage door to help out?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-01, 07:43 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
do you want to insulate the entire garage to make it more useable or do you want to insulate it so your house is warmer if the latter you only need to insulate the wall next to your house not entire thing

if you want the entire thing

1 celilings should have r-30

2 walls are trickier while i know no code for them the r value is mostly determined by the thickness of them ie 2by4 or 2by6 walls

3 if your garage door is in need of replacement consider a steel one with foam insulation inside it

4 if its in decent shape put celotex foil faced panels over it you can glue them on

5 as far as wall R values go the max you can get with 2*4 is R-15 but don't try and find this stuff at your local home center ive looked more common is r-11 and r-`13

6 drywall is a matter of how far apart your ceiling joists are space -basically the farther apart they are the thicker drywall you should use consider 1/2 or 5/8 they are relatively standard

Old 02-24-01, 07:43 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
do you want to insulate the entire garage to make it more useable or do you want to insulate it so your house is warmer if the latter you only need to insulate the wall next to your house not entire thing

if you want the entire thing

1 celilings should have r-30

2 walls are trickier while i know no code for them the r value is mostly determined by the thickness of them ie 2by4 or 2by6 walls

3 if your garage door is in need of replacement consider a steel one with foam insulation inside it

4 if its in decent shape put celotex foil faced panels over it you can glue them on

5 as far as wall R values go the max you can get with 2*4 is R-15 but don't try and find this stuff at your local home center ive looked more common is r-11 and r-`13

6 drywall is a matter of how far apart your ceiling joists are space -basically the farther apart they are the thicker drywall you should use consider 1/2 or 5/8 they are relatively standard

hope this helps----josh