Air Drafts In House - Spray Foam Insulation?

Old 11-24-13, 08:41 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Air Drafts In House - Spray Foam Insulation?

Hi,

I just finished installing recessed lighting in my family room, and I noticed when I cut the holes in the ceiling I would feel a air draft coming in through the holes. I also felt this when I took the cover off the receptacles.

The laundry room and garage are next to the family room. We don't have any baseboard heating in the laundry room, and when you go in there you can definitely feel the cold. I'm thinking maybe the draft is coming in from the garage and laundry room and then funneling into the family room through the ceiling.

Anyway, we just put the house back together and finished the family room; so I would hate to have to cut holes back in the drywall to insulate the family room better.

I was thinking of either looking to cut the ceiling drywall in the garage and put some insulation there to see if it helps.

If not, would spray foam be a good alternative to put in the family room? When putting spray foam insulation do you have to cut a bunch of holes into the drywall?

Thank you!

Old 11-24-13, 03:14 PM
I just finished installing recessed lighting in my family room, and I noticed when I cut the holes in the ceiling I would feel a air draft coming in through the holes. I also felt this when I took the cover off the receptacles.
What you experienced is a natural occurance -- differential pressure gradient between the inside envelope of the home and outside that envelope.
This is an example why air sealing the home is as important as adding insulation.

The laundry room and garage are next to the family room. We don't have any baseboard heating in the laundry room, and when you go in there you can definitely feel the cold. I'm thinking maybe the draft is coming in from the garage and laundry room and then funneling into the family room through the ceiling.

Anyway, we just put the house back together and finished the family room; so I would hate to have to cut holes back in the drywall to insulate the family room better.

I was thinking of either looking to cut the ceiling drywall in the garage and put some insulation there to see if it helps.
It can be more complicated since adding more insulation doesn't mean that will stop air movement.

If not, would spray foam be a good alternative to put in the family room? When putting spray foam insulation do you have to cut a bunch of holes into the drywall?
I'll be honest -- spray foam is an excellent choice for both air sealing and insulating, It's the high end product no doubt , but it's hard to beat.

However, what you are describing is not spray foam but rather *injected* foam.
Though the two products are similar in they are both a *foam* product the methods and compositions are different.

Spray foam is applied directly to the area whereas the injected foam is injected into the cavity through holes. The injected foam's composistion is designed to be a slower expansion in order to fill the voids --- at least in theory.

Unfortunately , you are at the mercy of the installers doing things properly , mixing of the 2 part ingedients and the actual injection process. Add to the fact they are applying this product blindy --- walls are in the way --- there is no feedback visually that things are properly done.

I have seen walls that had injected foam applied and it did not do nearly a proper job and had to be ripped out --- imagine the waste of money.

If it were me , I would look at other alternatives.

2 cents worth.

Old 11-25-13, 08:33 AM
O
Thank you for the detailed reply!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: