Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing exterior sheathing from the inside...

PA

12-01-13, 03:01 AM   #1  
Replacing exterior sheathing from the inside...

The tile wall around our second story bathtub was starting to give way. I am led to believe that this is original construction (1973) and has never been renovated. Before the problem got any worse, and mold developed, etc., I figured it was best to put in a tub surround.

I'm not much of a handyman but this is one project I *have* done before (with help) at our previous house, so I had some idea what I was getting into. My wife gave me permission to start the demolition, and then if things got out of hand, to call in a professional. The bulk of the demo took about 2 hours, and I uncovered some issues which may require professional help, but are not related to the reason for this post.

The "foot" end of the tub is against an exterior wall; this naturally was the only wall with insulation. The studs were somewhat dark and I decided to replace the insulation (which didn't look so great, either) and then figure out how to treat the studs. Upon removing insulation, the Tyvek (or similar) wall behind it was entirely rotten -- damp to the touch, and it gave way rather easily. Beyond this wall is only the siding.

I removed the damaged exterior wall (an area approx. 32" wide and 60" high, with a vertical stud in the middle), so now only the siding remains in that area. I later thought that perhaps I should have left it there to be part of whatever solution was concocted, but it was in *VERY* bad shape and I have a hard time believing it could have served any further value.

It is possible / practical / recommended to replace the wall without accessing it from the outside? If so, what material should I use? Or is this where I call 911 and say to the contractor, "just don't hurt me"?

These are 2x4 walls, I found no other such damage elsewhere, including higher up on the same wall, or on the floor below, so I'm fairly certain that the moisture accumulated from the tub and not from the outside.

The good news is that we have two other showers in the house, so we can all stay moderately clean while the tub is out of commission. The bad news is it's nearly December in Pennsylvania and I'm missing part of my wall. Help, please!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-01-13, 03:30 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! What type siding do you have? It will be virtually impossible to replace the sheathing on the house without gaining access from the outside. Remember, you just removed the media holding the siding up, so in all probability some siding will need to be removed.

Search this Thread