Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating foundation with XPS without drywall?

IL

12-01-13, 09:41 PM   #1  
Insulating foundation with XPS without drywall?

I want to stick some rigid XPS board on the interior of some foundation walls, however I need a fire barrier such as drywall. Is there a cheap(er) alternative to having to hang drywall & still be compliant?

Sponsored Links

WA

12-02-13, 11:18 AM   #2  
THERMAX? Sheathing
Check with local AHJ.

Leave top 2" open for annual termite inspection, if required; Termite Basics: Activity By Region

Gary

WA

12-02-13, 11:25 AM   #3  
IL under IBC, and they want an ignition barrier per local amendments; Chapter 26 - Plastic

1. Chapter 26 - Plastic

2. Chapter 26 - Plastic

3. Chapter 26 - Plastic

Gary

CANADA

12-02-13, 11:38 AM   #4  
Drywall is a pretty cheap option as is .

IL

12-02-13, 11:49 AM   #5  
I guess 'cheap' is the wrong word - just something that required less work than drywall as this is just the furnace/water heater/laundry area. Plus hanging drywall isn't one of my best skills. Was hoping there was just some type of non-flammible sheet of stuff I can roll out on top of the XPS.

I'll look into Thermax as well; I guess I don't necessarily need XPS, it's just what I see recommended for basement foundation wall applications. Will do some research.

CANADA

12-02-13, 12:44 PM   #6  
Putting up the drywall will be about as easy as installing the foam insulation.
Besides, this gives you a chance to hone your drywall skills and if it's in the mechanical room it's not in plain sight so it's doesn't have to look pretty.

WA

12-02-13, 03:10 PM   #7  
As it is a furnace room, check with your building inspector or Fire Marshal. Many areas for a residence require 5/8" Type X drywall on the ceiling and/or 1/2" Type X on the room walls for fire; Fire Rated Gypsum

Gas burning appliances require supply air- either from the adjoining rooms or outside ducted. Possibly a louvered door, or wall vents you should frame-in before the drywall. Research the proper safety requirements (code is minimum) before you drywall.

Gary

IL

12-13-13, 11:39 AM   #8  
Second question: in the laundry area, there is already electrical & galvanized pipe running alongside the concrete walls (less than an inch gap). I know you don't want a gap between the XPS and the concrete, so is the recommended practice to make cut-outs in the XPS for the plumbing/electrical that's against the wall and then maybe spray foam over them? Or would I just use the really thin (less than an inch) foam board for these areas? Or, (option I don't want to do), I have to rip out the plumbing & electrical and then make them stick out from the wall more to fit the XPS.

Next question is probably a dumb question, but hey, gotta start from somewhere...if I have to hang drywall over the XPS, I can't attach it directly to the concrete can I? Do I have to build a wall?

Next question is: how far up should the XPS be on the concrete wall if the ceiling is already drywalled? Can I stop at that drywall, or do I need to pull that drywall out and make the XPS extend beyond the ceiling drywall?

Final question - can I just use closed cell canned foam on the wall in place of XPS & leave it exposed?

I bet I'm showing my lack of experience, but just want to make sure I don't do something stupid.

Search this Thread