No insulation in outside wall

Old 12-11-13, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No insulation in outside wall

Just started renovating a bathroom and discovered that there is no insulation in the outside walls. The house is wood frame with vinyl siding over what appears to be asphalt impregnated sheathing (Celotex?), and was built in the 50's.
The house is located in southern New Jersey and it did not seem cold in the winter, but since I am removing the old tile/drywall I could install insulation. My question is should I install insulation and if so what type and do I need a vapor barrier. The house has central AC and forced hot air heat.

Thanks,

Jack P.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-13, 07:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Confusing, there's no need for insulation except for sound deadening on an inside wall.
If you really meant there no insulation in the back side of the outside walls then
Yes it needs insulation.
Yes it needs a vapor barrier.
Since it's 50's construction I'd guess it's 2 X 4 construction so if you can find this locally it would work best.
Roxul ComfortBatt

Old 12-12-13, 06:40 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Hi Jack,
I agree with Joe, you need insulation and a vapor barrier on the inside. I also like Roxul. The larger concern which I'm sure you have considered is, does the rest of the house have insulation in the walls? A 50's home will typically be low on ceiling insulation as well. But that is another project.

I spent 12 years in Brick and built a few homes before escaping back to Maine. Old memories.

Bud

Old 12-12-13, 07:11 AM
Old 12-12-13, 07:28 AM
You do need a vapor control layer but do not put a Class I vapor retarder on the wall like poly plastic.

The link that Joe posted up is good and Search the Building Science Corporation for some of their articles on insulation approached.

Old 12-15-13, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the input, this is the first time I had a house without plywood sheathing and wanted to be sure I wouldn't create a moisture problem by insulating the walls.

Jack