Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is vinyl siding a better insulator?

CO

02-26-01, 05:34 PM   #1  
Hi,

Some of the old wood siding is rotting on my house and I will be replacing it this spring/summer.

But, I was trying to determine if the wood siding is a better insulator over the vinyl siding?

Because, I was considering also just replacing it all with the vinyl siding.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Shawn

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-27-01, 07:32 AM   #2  
Resqman
Most products used to insulate do so by having lots of small air pockets. Wood is porus and has air pockets. It is not a very good insulator but better than say metal.

Conversely, vinyl has no air pockets. Therefore the vinyl siding itself is a poor insulator. Commonally a thin sheet of foam is installed under neath the vinyl.

Typically siding is not chosen based on it's insulative qualities. Siding is usually chose based on it's ability to keep water out of the house, style, cost, and maintenance.

SD

03-01-01, 05:23 AM   #3  
I helped conduct a test several years ago on the R (insulation) value of siding. The best insulation has an R value of about1 or 2. Not value in it no matter what kind it is. You do not chose siding for insulation value. This is an old wives tale.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-15-01, 02:02 PM   #4  
But....
If you DO use vinyl siding, find the thickest foam underlayment you can prectically use. THAT is where the R-Values come from, and it does make a difference.

I sided my house, and used the 1 1/2" foil faced foam, along with tyvek underneath, with the vinyl siding over that.

It gets expensive, and you have to buy larger height J Channels, as the foam brings the siding away from Window edges pretty far.

But a BIG DIFFERENCE in the comfort level inside the house during the Winter AND the summer, especially with the sun beating against the side of the house.

Just my 1/2 cents (or is that sense?)

Best regards,
Lvader.

Search this Thread