finding the weak spot in a cold room

Old 12-15-13, 06:10 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
finding the weak spot in a cold room

I have a tri level house plus basement built in 1992. The main living room is the lowest of the main floors. Below it is a crawl space and there are French doors to the backyard, a rather large window that isn't new but not that drafty. There is also the door to the garage. I put new weather seals on the French doors and door to garage. We try to keep our heat on the low side but this room gets drastically colder. There isn't any noticeable draft. Is it just the nature of heat rising and this is the low point? Not sure what my next step to insulate the room or trouble shoot behind the scenes issues to get this room a little more balanced. We have purchased a space heater in the meantime. Any suggestions?

Old 12-15-13, 09:04 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Greetings,
Where the main floor rests on the crawlspace walls often leaks a lot of cold air. Even the best of typical homes are designed to leak a lot of air (1/3 volume per hour) and you are correct, the flow is cold air in at the bottom which pushed the warm air up and out the top. Does your crawl space have a concrete floor of dirt?

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: