Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Garage Conversaion - How to properly seal the garage door

Old 12-16-13, 09:36 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on converting a one car garage to a room but I need to keep the garage door as is due to HOA restrictions. How would I go about properly sealing it if I'm going to wall it off from the inside?
Would attaching house wrap on the inside and caulk the perimeter be enough, or do I need to take additional steps to prevent moisture getting behind the door and causing the mold issue.

Old 12-17-13, 05:41 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You wouldn't in most cases. The only way to really seal and properly insulated that application would be to build an interior wall, insulate, and sheetrock it.

As you noted, there are also issues with moisture infiltration along the base of the door that need to be accounted for.

I am afraid this is probably a recipe for disaster if you are going to try to do it as planned right now.

Old 12-17-13, 09:07 AM
A
I'm planning on building the interior wall, insulate and sheetrock it. I'm wondering what would the right way to seal the door from the inside to prevent possible mold issue in the newly build wall.

Old 12-18-13, 03:46 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Backer rod and sealant between the large gaps to prevent the air flow from carrying moisture.

You can probably get the door pretty airtight but I am concerned about the ability to make the sill area water tight an the door in general.

Your drywall will need to be air tight after that so that you don't have condensation issues if you are heating the space in the winter months.

Old 12-18-13, 10:58 AM
A
Would caulking using silicon between the still plate and floor be enough?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: