Insulating crawlspace

Old 12-17-13, 09:03 AM
Insulating crawlspace

Hello all

I'm looking for some advice on some work I'm looking to do on my recently purchased home.

The house is a single floor bungalow with a dirt floor crawlspace. I'm in southern Ontario, on the south end of Lake Simcoe. The house was built in 1962.

We're getting alot of condensation on the windows, which are about 10 years old, double-pane casement.

So after doing some research, I'm thinking my first job should be to put a vapour barrier down in the crawlspace. I intend to use 6 mil plastic, bringing it up the walls and attaching it using some adhesive caulking. I will overlap the plastic where necessary and tape all seams. The foundation walls are 2 feet high at the most - do I run the plastic all the way up?

The next step would be to install 2" polyiso board along the foundation walls. I'm not 100% clear on exactly how to attach said boards, adhesive caulking again?

On another, somewhat related note, I noticed some frost on the interior trim below our patio door. I pulled the trim and found there were some rather large gaps in the insulation below the door. I filled this area with expanding foam (the stuff for windows and doors), but further investigation reveals that the entire wall has areas that are similarly drafty (and I'm guessing the rest of the house will be the same). Should I just continue filling these gaps with the expanding foam?

Any advice appreciated. I've done a lot of reading, and as far as the crawlspace I _think_ I'm on the right track.

Thanks,

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-14, 12:35 AM
I ran the plastic barrier from the floor down the wall and then let it run out about 18 inches on the ground. I fastened it with a heavy duty stapler. I overlapped, I had no luck with tape.
I used batt insulation and ran it from the floor down the wall and let it run out onto the plastic on the ground about 6 inches. Again I used staples at the top to any wood and mine just hangs.

Mine might not be the best job but it does help significantly.
Here is a video(2nd video) to give something of ideas. you can maybe use some of the tips and adjust to meet your needs.
Installing Crawl Space Insulation | How to Insulate your Crawl Space