Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is it inefficient to have ventilation in your attic?

NY

12-17-13, 04:51 PM   #1  
Is it inefficient to have ventilation in your attic?

Hi

I have a 1950s double brick house in Toronto Canada. Our attic has barely any insulation which i'm about to rectify. I did notice that there's a ventilation hole in the attic roof, one of those vents that twirls to let the hot air out.

I know this has a point, to prevent hot high pressure air building up in the summer. However it's now winter and there's definitely no hot air building up in there? So what i'm wondering is it in efficient to have this system? Can i close that vent during winter? Is there a better way to set up the attic to avoid heat loss in winter?

cheers
oman

Sponsored Links

NY

12-17-13, 05:10 PM   #2  
so a quick google solves my problem

Improving Attic Ventilation | Ventilation | Plumbing, HVAC & Electrical | This Old House

looks like i need the ventilation to let out moist air. On top more research and sealing those attic floor spots (lights)

ME

12-17-13, 05:58 PM   #3  
You are on the right track. Air sealing and then lots of insulation. The roof over our home is just there for protection from the elements and not to retain the heat escaping through our ceiling. Good ventilation removes any moisture that sneaks through the structure and any solar heat to prevent ice dams. Here is a link on air sealing to help you find those leaks.
http://www.efficiencyvermont.com/ste...ide_062507.pdf

Bud

Search this Thread