Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Family Room Colder Than Rest Of The Rooms - Insulate Garage?

Family Room Colder Than Rest Of The Rooms - Insulate Garage?

Old 12-18-13, 06:42 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Family Room Colder Than Rest Of The Rooms - Insulate Garage?

Hi,

I have a family room that is attached to the garage and laundry room. I sealed the doors as best as I could, and I don't believe the issue is the doors. I also have updated windows so they seem to do a pretty good job keeping the cold out of the house.

One issue I came across is I installed recessed lighting in the family room, and when I cut the holes in the drywall I could feel air and it was cold. Now with the recessed lighting cans installed when I touch the cans they are cold. I noticed that the recessed lighting that is installed and lined up with the garage has this issue, but the rest of the lighting down the room where the garage isn't by doesn't have this issue.

If I were to insulate my garage, would this help keep the cold coming into the family room?

I don't want to take down the sheetrock in the garage; would it be possible to get someone to spray foam all inside the walls and ceiling in the garage?

Thank you!

Old 12-18-13, 07:42 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is the layout of my family room and garage area.

Attached Images  
Old 12-18-13, 03:20 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What is in the space above the cans? They make airtight cans that may solve some of the leak problem and also have draft kits that work with your trim kits (basically a ribber gasket) that further helps seal the can from drafts. For remodel cans, I believe that they provide several lengths of metalic tape that you use to seal up the inside of the can in the areas that hold the clips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: