Inject Foam Insulation Existing Walls - Thoughts?

Old 12-31-13, 10:51 AM
Question Inject Foam Insulation Existing Walls - Thoughts?

Hi,

I came across this video/website, and due to the lack of insulation and air drafts in my existing exterior walls I was looking into trying this method to minimize energy costs.

My house was built in 1965 and I checked a couple of outlets to see if I could see any fiberglass insulation and doesn't look like its behind the wall. I have no idea how they could build this house without adding any fiberglass insulation to it.

Injecting Foam Insulation into Existing Walls with Vinyl Siding - YouTube
Injection Foam Insulation by Dr. Energy Saver | Wall Insulation | Air Krete | Retrofit Insulation

I like this option because it is done from the outside of the house and I won't need to patch up any holes in the drywall inside of the house.

However, one thing that I don't like about this foam is they say it has an R-Value of 6 per inch; is this a good R-Value???

I guess it's better than having no insulation at all.

Or are there any other alternatives that might be better?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-13, 11:52 AM
R-6 per inch is good. Sounds like it is a closed cell foam. Expanding foam is far more expensive than other insulations. You may want to consider blown in cellulose insulation. They can do that from the outside as well. It won't be as filling and airtight as foam would be, but much easier on the pocket. You may want to cut a hole on the wall just to make sure you don't have any insulation. It's possible that it is there and just not visible around the outlets.