Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cost for blown in insulation for garage ceiling

CT

01-02-14, 07:34 PM   #1  
Cost for blown in insulation for garage ceiling

Hi all, first post here. I live in Darien CT, I got two quotes to insulate a finished garage ceiling, 252 square feet. My daughter's bedroom is above the garage and it is freezing. A local guy gave me a price of $720 for blown in fiberglass ($1.37 per sq ft) claiming an R-value of 32. Dr. Energy Savers (I believe they are national) gave me a price of $1,500 for blown in cellulose ($2.85 per sq ft) claiming an R-value of 50 (seemed suspect to me). I thought cellulose would be more expensive, but not double. Frankly, I think both of them are trying to rip me off, but I wanted to hear some thoughts.

As a side note the local guy told me he would have to go in through the actual ceiling since he could not take off my shake-style vinyl siding outside. While the other guy said the exact opposite that the siding would come off easily and he would blow in from the outside.

Sponsored Links

NJ

01-03-14, 02:08 PM   #2  
This is just the ceiling the garage? Why are they accessing it through the siding? How big are the ceiling joists? That will give you the R-value.

I had the first floor walls of my house down with blown in cellulose. I think it ran around $1,500.

CT

01-06-14, 01:47 PM   #3  
This is just the ceiling. The ceiling is finished, the fiberglass guy told me he would go through the ceiling and the cellulose guy said he would go through the outside and thus the siding.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

01-06-14, 01:58 PM   #4  
Makes no since to me trying to go though an outside wall.
#1 He's going to be trying to remove about $300.00 a square siding that's a royal pain to remove even in the hot summer time, near imposable in the winter.
#2 What's he plan on doing once the sidings off? There's still house wrap, sheathing, and a rim joist to be through.

CT

01-06-14, 02:13 PM   #5  
Didn't make sense to me either, plus he wanted more than double the other guy.

VA

01-19-14, 10:10 AM   #6  
Makes sense to go through the ceiling, and both of those prices sound extremely high to me. Maybe wait until the temps warm up and hopefully the prices will come down. I've had two homes insulated with blown-in insulation (not sure what kind, but definitely not fiberglass) and the first home was $350 for 900 sq ft. (R value of 45) and my current home--about the same size attic--for $450 and R-value of 55.

Search this Thread