Bad smell coming from cold cellar

Old 01-10-14, 04:13 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bad smell coming from cold cellar

Hi guys hope you can help. First let me start off by saying this is not the first time I have had this smell of rotting fish/something dying coming from the basement. It used to be that I would smell it on the landing going down to the basement, now I find it's coming from my cold cellar. My basement is 7 years old and I just have the exterior walls strapped and insulated with the pink fibreglass and plastic vapour sheets, although they are starting to fall down. I have 3 cold cellars in the basement one in the front of the house under the porch not being used and then I have 2 in the back under the concrete patio, one is 14 x 14 that we use for storage and the other is 16 x 14 that my father uses to hang sausages to cure. Last spring I had all three cold cellars insulated with 3" blue styrofoam on the ceilings and 24" down around the walls. My dad was hanging the sausages last week and I noticed that smell again. I can find where it's coming from and it's driving me crazy. If the walls were finished I would say its a dead mouse but there's nothing but concrete and styrofoam in the cellar. Any suggestions on what it could be? Temperature is around 7deg cel and humidity is around 70. By the way I am in richmond hill ontario Canada.
Thanks

Old 01-10-14, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
My dad was hanging the sausages last week and I noticed that smell again.
It would appear to be the sausages you're smelling.

Old 01-10-14, 06:07 PM
A
Lol, it's not the sausages, the smell was there 1 week before. I smelled it while I was cleaning up the cellar.

Old 01-10-14, 06:23 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I waited for someone else to ask that question .
You said " My basement is 7 years old and I just have the exterior walls strapped and insulated with the pink fibreglass and plastic vapour sheets,"
Note photo #2 in the following link and the noted problems it can cause. "Common outcome are odor, mold, decay and corrosion problems."

BSD-103: Understanding Basements — Building Science Information

Bud

Old 01-10-14, 07:10 PM
A
Ok thanks, bot why would the smell be inside the cold cellar where there is not strapping or pink fibreglass insulation? This is baffling me....

Old 01-11-14, 01:15 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
During winter the cold outside air is pushing down around the house. Any path into the drainage system around the foundation will provide a path to vent soil gasses up around the basement slab or through sump pits and into the basement. Ultimately through the house. Sometimes a plastic vapor barrier covering a basement floor will billow up from this air flow.

They make smoke sticks that use train smoke (no combustion risk) that might help you locate any infiltration around the slab.

You might want to have a radon test. A sub-slab radon extraction system would also remove any other source coming from the soil.

Although further diluted, virtually all of the basement air is being circulated throughout your house, unless other ventilation methods are being used.

Have you or your neighbors used any form of rodent poison. I have run into dead critters in some very strange places.

Bud

Old 01-11-14, 06:08 AM
A
No poison but I may look into that radon test. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: