Insulating home

Old 01-16-14, 06:42 PM
Insulating home

Bud,

Years later and I come across your post. I would love some advice! I'm searching the internet high and wide to try to reduce energy costs. I have a 1925 home. It's cosmetically been updated. It's 1,760 square feet. We have gas heat. Our bill was $300 this month! Way to much for two people who work full time. My issue is, all the copper pipes are not insulated. The basement is always sweltering hot. We leave the door to the basement open, but it doesn't help to heat the house. Our 10 month old is crawling now, so leaving the door open is not an option any longer during the day. We have an old thermostat, which I am currently replacing with a programmable one so we can regulate when the heat kicks on. We don't have a cooling system. A few weeks ago, my husband was replacing a light bulb and felt cold air coming through! Our downstairs bathroom is so cold we end up closing the door. Windows are supposedly newer, I think they did a half ass job installing them. We live in Rhode Island, where the temp is super hot in the summer, and very cold in the winter. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-14, 07:03 PM
Hi Vanessa and welcome to the forum. One of the modes may move this to a new thread, but for now we can continue here.
There are easy fixes and expensive ones and they should all be sequenced as best possible. Air sealing is one of the least expensive improvements and the first one to be done. You want to avoid installing a lot of new insulation only to have to remove it to do the air sealing. I'll add a link on air dealing from Efficiency Vermont.

What type of heating system do you have, baseboard hot water, forced hot air or other? The excess heat in the basement can be used upstairs. What style is the home, 2 story with an unfinished basement or what? Is the heat in the basement just from the boiler being down there or are there heating units there or ducts, whichever? I'll let you read and wait for the reply.

http://www.efficiencyvermont.com/ste...ide_062507.pdf

Bud

Old 01-17-14, 02:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Vanessa I started your own thread to give it more exposure