Adding expanding foam to basement window surround

Old 01-27-14, 05:41 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding expanding foam to basement window surround

Hi All,

I recently bought a house, had an energy audit and got some tips on how to improve things. One of the many things pointed out was to inject some expanding foam around a basement window as the IR camera showed heat was leaking out there.

I've taken off the "trim" around the window and sure enough the 2x4" end abruptly around the window and there are large gaps leading to the cold concrete bricks where drafts can be felt (see photos).

I have the expanding foam gun ready to go and i just wanted to run my method past someone with more knowledge.

a) Inject expanding foam into crevices one bead at a time, allow to expand and dry for 30-60 min. Then repeat till all gaps filled.

b) After i fill all the gaps with expanding foam should i put a vapour barrier around the cut out (wooden planks go back in the window sill)

Is there anything else i'm missing?

cheers
oman

Attached Images      
Old 01-28-14, 04:41 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Adding expanding foam

You can do as you stated but forget the vapor barrier. Can you cut strips of rigid foam and place them in between the framing at the window and the wall framing and then seal those to the framing?

It seems from the pictures that you could do as above and that you have enough room to cover over the framing from the inner edge of the window unit back to the edge of your drywall that makes your interior wall surface. Then apply drywall or wood trim over the foam. Seal the foam at the window with a high quality flexible sealant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: