Insulation problem or Water leak??

Old 02-02-14, 04:53 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation problem or Water leak??

I recently got energy audit done and family room ceiling shows blue markings for leak on Flir.Name:  Family room ceiling.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  19.5 KB. The report says "this room has a
separate enclosed attic from the rest of the house. Need investigation".
Could someone please help me understand what could it be and how can i go about checking? Myself or ask someone else?

Old 02-02-14, 06:58 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
insulation problem

It can denote a situation in which cold air is filtering into the end of a fiberglass insulation batt that does not have a suitable air barrier. It can also denote a situation whereby cold air is migrating between the facing of the insulation and the drywall/plaster ceiling finish.

In either case you need to be able to see the area and determine if the fiberglass insulation is indeed covering the top plate of the exterior wall and ideally it should have some solid material covering the exposed end of the batt to prevent "windwashing" of the end of the insulation.

In many cases the insulation gets installed in a manner that would allow you to see daylight between the top plate of the framing and the kraft facing on the insulation. This is the space that is allowing cold air to filter back in to the living space and show up as a cold spot on the ceiling.

Old 02-03-14, 08:01 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is there a knee wall above that ceiling in that area?

Old 02-03-14, 08:30 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Calvert, Really appreciate your detailed explanation. I have a bedroom and a closet above this room and the separation wall between room and closet should be right above here.

what could be the right way approach the investigation?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: