Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

frost in garage

WI

02-18-14, 11:41 AM   #1  
frost in garage

Looking for ideas. I have a attached garage. It has been drywalled and insolated. I did put vapor barrier up to. I get frost on drywall at hurricane clip locations on north wall. I do get frost on a few screw heads on oposite wall but no frost where metal hangers are under drywall. The wall joinng the house is good. I do not heat the garage and yes there is snow from vehicles. Cold wi. Weather. Windows do frost and door handles that I understand and dont cause to much problem. I hate the black mold in spring on drywall. Have shoots at soffet but this year has blocked the ridge caps with snow. House is only 7 years old. Frost is only at metal clip areas on drywall and few screw heads and all in that area were wall meets ceiling. Could I simply put up a 1 in trim board at the wall to ceiling Intersection to slow the moisture to get to the cold clips? I was also wondering. I am pretty sure I put plastic on walls first and then drywalled and didnt swing the poly from wall to ceiling. Could be a seam there. Would tbat do it. Also drywall seam is just pushed tight witb no mud or caulk. Would that help? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links

ME

02-18-14, 12:28 PM   #2  
I believe your problem is from the moisture the vehicles bring in and not from the outside. The vapor barrier is actually helping to hold that moisture in. This is a common problem with finishing/insulating an unheated space. You need to increase the ventilation or seal it up and heat it, which I assume is not going to happen. Outside air is typically very dry and if ventilation is improved the problem should go away.

Bud

WI

02-18-14, 12:43 PM   #3  
I agree that it is the moisure introduced by vehicles etc but why in only these areas. Wondered if i installed a 1 x6 across the metal hangers it would insolate thet area enough to stop the frost from building there. Was thinking or at least hoping then the moisure would just adsorb into the rest of the drywall rather than frosting up. Again any help is appreciated. Thanks

Group Moderator

NC

02-18-14, 01:28 PM   #4  
I have a thermal camera and it is amazing when you look at a houses walls in winter. It is clearly visible that wood studs are a poor insulator and sheet rock nails & screws act like little conductors transferring the cold even better. Hurricane straps and any other strapping also serve as conductors to transport the cold past insulation. In your case enough to allow frost to form inside.

These are not my images but they give you an idea of what your garage walls probably look like. Brighter colors like yellow and orange are warmer and better insulated. Darker blue, purple and black areas are cold and where there is less insulation.

Personally I would not worry too much. This winter has been full of extreme conditions. The correct solution to your problem is to better insulate the areas where the frost is forming. Unfortunately this is not very feasible without a lot of work. More ventilation will work but defeats the purpose of insulating the garage to keep it warm. Are the garage walls painted? If not I would prime with a moisture blocking oil based paint and top coat with a bathroom moisture and mildew resistant paint.

WI

02-19-14, 06:00 AM   #5  
That could be a great example of what I have. Blue line up at the wall to ceiling line. Except most frost is every 24 inches at the rafter clips. Extra insulating would be great if it works. Thats why I was wondering if putting a board across the area would actualy insolate the moisture from getting to the clips? How about caulking that seam? Should I take down drywall and make sure poly wraps threw the corners? Thanks again

ME

02-19-14, 07:26 AM   #6  
The poly is to keep the moisture in so whether it wraps the corner or not is unimportant. Adding insulation is only beneficial if you have a source of heat and you would still need to get rid of the moisture. Letting the moisture soak into the drywall is what you want to avoid.

You are seeing frost which is an indicator of a problem. The problem is too much moisture trapped in the garage, not the frost. Either don't bring the moisture in or provide a way for it to get out.

Bud

Group Moderator

NC

02-19-14, 08:43 AM   #7  
The problem with studs and hurricane strapping is that there really is no place for insulation. Those are cold spots on all homes. I honestly would not worry too much about it in a garage. Your idea of wood strips might help since wood does have some R value. Not much but some. I think all you'd get would be a cosmetic difference of not seeing the frost.

WI

02-19-14, 09:08 AM   #8  
Thats really all I am looking for is the cosmetics. Its not even the frost that bothers me its when it thaws and I get tbe dark patches in tbe spring. Hoping the board would stop that. Worth a try I guess.

Group Moderator

NC

02-19-14, 10:53 AM   #9  
Cut some rigid foam insulation into strips and glue into place and caulk the seams. Paint it and you've got insulating crown molding.

WI

02-19-14, 11:41 AM   #10  
Serious. This something anyone has tried. Should work as good if not better then a 1x board.

Group Moderator

NC

02-19-14, 12:58 PM   #11  
Liquid Nails Projects and Loctite Power Grab Clear All Purpose will both work on foam and are available at most home centers. If you try any other adhesive make sure it says it's OK for use with foam as many solvent based ones will dissolve the foam.

Search this Thread