Interior insulation - brick block construction

Old 04-03-14, 12:08 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Interior insulation - brick block construction

Looking for some advice on how to insulate this reno.

Turn of the century home with Brick - Block construction.

I demo'd the bathroom and essentially I would like to insulate from the inside (outside is not an option).

My plan was to build out a 2X3 or 2x4 wall an inch or so from the blocks, insulate with batt insulation, 6 mill vapour barrier, and then drywall.

From what I have read, this could be problematic due to moisture build up behind the insulated wall where the bricks and blocks would not have the necessary airflow to dry.

I am in a very cold region, so I am concerned with freezing/thawing.

I have seen suggestions using rigid insulation, and others using spray insulation. I do not have experience with either. I have experience only with wood walls and typically opt for batt insulation.

Am I asking for trouble proceeding as set out above? If rigid or foam insulation a better option, how do I go about using that?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-14, 04:22 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Although the easy answer would be to say spray closed cell foam on the walls...you DO have to be cautious of the brick issue. Many brick walls can suffer considerable damage if not allowed to dry. Spraying foam on the wall can prevent proper drying. Of course a lot of this depends on the type of brick and mortar used, how the walls are protected from getting saturated and a variety of issues that, I don't think can be given appropriate review from a distance.

I believe you should seek local professionals who may be able to identify the issues you face and better ascertain the type of brick and how it would react to the foam or any insulation.

Old 04-03-14, 04:34 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
calvert has it right, not all bricks are created equally and few can identify which is which.

I just swung by our old historic High School building which I attended MANY years ago and noticed the brick outside the first floor rim joist is spalling, the exterior layer is flaking away. I will have to talk to historic preservation as this is a relatively new problem.

The message is, if you do it wrong it will be after something goes bad before you notice a problem.

I will attach 2 links that will help explain brick issues.

BSI-047: Thick as a Brick — Building Science Information

BSD-106: Understanding Vapor Barriers — Building Science Information

Bud

Old 04-03-14, 06:22 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's a home that was neglected for a long time, so I suspect they aren't in great shape. I had a significant number of exterior bricks replaced and repointed last year. The house has shifted over the years and there are some gaps between some of the blocks. Hence, the desire to improve the r value of the home . given that,what are my options?

Old 04-04-14, 05:27 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If the brick can withstand the freeze/thaw cycles without falling apart then you can create an insulated wall on the inside. However, if the brick will deteriorate from moisture and freezing, then you have to keep it warm and dry. That means an air gap and heat from inside, which means no insulation or minimal. The decision all starts with the determination as to good brick or bad brick and that requires a professional who can put his/her hands on the house.

Recommending professional on site advice as calvert stated, is good advice.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: