Vapor Barrier adhesive?

Old 05-11-14, 09:05 AM
Vapor Barrier adhesive?

I'm putting a 6mil vapor barrier in my crawl space. I'm wondering how I secure it to the walls and floor. I know I use a waterproof tape at seams, but is there an adhesive that will stick vapor barrier to foam board insulation and concrete slab?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-14, 09:38 AM
bump...i've read that construction adhesives won't stick on polyurethane vapor barriers....

Old 05-14-14, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Tuck or foil tape might, not sure....

Old 05-14-14, 02:03 PM
You shouldn't need to adhere it to the concrete. Just put tape at the joints and to the foam on the wall. You can put a few bricks or some sand or even 1" thick boards to hold it down if you feel you need to.

Depending on the foam you have on the wall that should already be acting like a vapor retarder so I'm not sure you need to cover that but if you choose to you can try the spray contact adhesives, I have used them when I had to attach poly to steel stud framing.

Old 05-14-14, 02:56 PM
I've never tried this so I have no idea if it would work but I would try a silicone adhesive/caulk. The problem is you have to get each side (the poly and the concrete) absolutely clean. Any dust will have the adhesive stick to the dust instead of where it is supposed to stick.

Thinking about it, I seem to remember one of the companies selling crawlspace encapsulation supplies had a sealer/adhesive for the vapor barrier-to-concrete interface. I'll see if I can find the link.

Old 05-16-14, 02:59 AM
Some experts have told me to use double sided "carpet" tape.

Thank you for the replies

Old 05-16-14, 12:47 PM
No matter what adhesive you still need to get the surfaces clean. I have never had much success with the thin double-sided carpet tape but I often use the double-sided foam tape for many different projects. For the concrete side I would use a stiff scrub brush or a wire brush to vigorously clean the surface and then compressed air to remove the resultant dust. On the plastic side I would seriously consider some strong solvent that was also highly volatile, meaning it evaporated quickly. Wipe with a CLEAN cloth after the solvent wipe to remove any dust.

Another thought, instead of the silicone adhesive caulk you could try the adhesive used for bonding landscape blocks. It comes in a caulking gun tube and I KNOW it sticks well to clean concrete; put a large bead on the wall and then press the clean plastic into the adhesive. Don't apply too long a bead before sticking the plastic as it will "skin over" and be far less effective.

Old 05-16-14, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
I'm with Furd - if you do go two sided tape, the foam core is the one I prefer as well.