Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Batt insulation in basement ceiling for soundproofing?

CT

06-13-14, 03:18 PM   #1  
Iinsulation in basement ceiling for soundproofing?

I have an older single story home from the 1930's, and our guest bedroom is located directly above a very noisy sump pump in the basement. I have some extra rolled R19 insulation leftover from a previous project, and I'm thinking about putting it in the basement ceiling to try and reduce the amount of noise in the guest bedroom when the sump pump kicks in. Any thoughts on this or advice? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money trying to fix this, which is why I'm thinking about using the extra insulation I have lying around.

Link to the insulation I have
Owens Corning EcoTouch 6-1/4 in. x 15 in. x 39.2 ft. R-19 Kraft Continuous Roll Fiberglas Insulation-RF40 at The Home Depot

*I forgot to mention the sump pump is not too old, around 3 years old or so. I do believe it is a pretty basic model though, which might explain why it's a little noisy.

Sponsored Links

PA

06-13-14, 05:43 PM   #2  
Fine to do that but you should make sure you seal all mechanical and other penetrations that might be in the floor or into the stud plates that form the walls around that room. Also if you have ductwork that feeds into that room from the basement, you may want to wrap that as well as it transmits sound.

CT

06-13-14, 06:04 PM   #3  
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

I forgot to mention as well, please disgregard "batt" in the original thread title. I thought I had extra batt insulation, but I actually have leftover rolled insulation.

Search this Thread