Sound Proof Hollow Wall

Old 07-06-14, 06:33 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sound Proof Hollow Wall

I have a customer who has a new office inside of a warehouse. There is a lot of noise in the warehouse from forklifts and products.

The office has normal ceiling tiles that can be lifted or removed.

The customer wants me to sound proof the wall with some insulation (within reason as much as possible).

My feeling is to lift up the ceiling tile directly above the wall and spray down some type of foam and sound proof insulation.

My question is will this work (throwing down some sound proof insulation)?
What type of insulation would you recommend using for this?

Old 07-06-14, 06:58 AM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
You could just drop bat insulation or wool type or spray, but I suspect he won't get the results he is expecting. I think at best the noise will only be muffled and not reduced. The ceiling will need to be insulated as well as the door. Is there glass windows to the warehouse? That may have to be sound proof glass as well. Machinery and factory type noise is difficult to isolate vs typical office or home surroundings.

Old 07-06-14, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You cannot do much with wood framing. Luckily, you probably only have some interrupted fork lifts and occasional impact from loads being set down. The problem exists with the owner of the company what built the facility or rented it.

The best solution from industrial noise sources is mass, although air sealing may help. I have seen medical facilities that used sheet lead for radiation and for sound isolation very effectively effectively.

We had a industrial plant that had 2 machines that generated cyclical vibrations on a 5 sec cycle. The db rating was between 92 db and 101 db. We built a managers office inside out of 8" concrete block with the cores filled with sand and a 8" precast concrete slab for a ceiling. All joints and intersections were caulked/sealed and the 3'x 5' window was a triple wall assembly. The door was a steel fire door with closers, sweeps and gaskets. It was reasonably quiet enough, but a 20,000# fork lift roughly stetting down a load about 50' away could be noticed, but tolerated since isolation from vibrations/impact is very costly and difficult.

There is no one answer, but a combination.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: