Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Repair tear in attic insulation... (pictures included)

Old 07-07-14, 05:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I'm a new homeowner and also new to the doityourself.com community. My girlfriend and I recently purchased a resale home in Las Vegas, Nevada. During the home inspection, the inspector found a tear in the attic insulation. The insulation is installed in between the rafters. There seems to be a backing material stapled to the rafters and a cocoon insulation blown in behind the backing material. It appears someone had previously accidentally cut a portion of the material. There is insulation on the floor of the attic but I can't seem to find the backing material. What would be the best method of repairing this tear? I appreciate the help as I am completely clueless as to the proper route to go with this one.

Name:  Photo Jul 07, 12 07 15 PM.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  24.7 KB

This picture is actually rotated 90 degrees to the left (the attic floor is on the right side of the picture). Not sure why it uploaded that way.

Old 07-07-14, 05:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can bring the slit back together and tape it with Tyvek tape or Gorilla tape. It is not going to hurt the insulation value, but I understand piece of mind in not wanting it scattered about.

Old 07-07-14, 06:15 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks chandler! The tape will assist me in fixing the small slit. However, there seems to be a large piece of the backing material missing on the side which would connect to the rafter. Do you have any suggestions on a backing material? Or should I stuff some other insulation in there to keep the blow in insulation from falling out again? Or are you suggesting using a large amount of tape to cover the hole?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: