Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page > Redoing insulation on daylight walkout basement wall - best choice?

Redoing insulation on daylight walkout basement wall - best choice?

Old 07-10-14, 05:58 AM
Redoing insulation on daylight walkout basement wall - best choice?

Hi, my house is 10 years old and has had plenty of mice in the basement insulation and most recently carpenter ants. I'm planning on ripping out all the current insulation so I can thoroughly clean and inspect the wood wall. I'd like to know if there's a best option for what to put back for insulation? Technically I could reuse the current insulation, which has plenty of bird seed and other crap in it, but at a minimum I figured I might as well replace it with new fiberglass.
My basement setup is: full walkout wall with 6' double-door and a couple full size windows. The basement is unfinished. There is no vapor barrier, just the R-19 insulation stapled in place on the wood wall, along with insulation above the concrete on the 3 concrete walls. No insulation in ceiling. There is a high probability it will be finished at some point in the future. I was curious if spray foam insulation may help reduce critter habitat. I do spend a fair amount of time down there as it is my workout area. Thanks for any tips.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-14, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

First step is see if you can figure out where the critters are getting in and close those up.

Spray foam is good insulation but it's not cheap. Roxul (mineral wool) is another choice largely regarded as being superior to fiberglass.

Old 07-10-14, 07:27 AM
thank you, that wool sounds interesting

Search this Thread