Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

High-temperature insulating foamboard and adhesive?

IL

07-29-14, 08:49 AM   #1  
High-temperature insulating foamboard and adhesive?

Hello, all! Strange question, but bear with. I'm a college student with a toaster oven that I love using instead of the real oven for small meals. Problem is that the outside of my toaster oven gets hot. REALLY hot. Hot enough to burn yourself if you touch it while it's on. And it does heat up my apartment quite a bit, as well.

So what I'm hoping to do is build an insulating shell to put around four of the sides (left/right, top, back). I don't know what the insulation would do for the heat in my apartment, but the biggest priority is that I just don't want the at-least-200-degree surfaces exposed while it's in use. But I don't know anything about insulation or adhesives for this task.

Is there are particular kind of insulation I should be looking for, or will the basic pink boards at Home Depot cut it? And my initial research indicated that Liquid Nails would be a good adhesive for foamboard, but digging a little deeper, I found that Liquid Nails reacts very poorly to high temperatures. So, does anyone have a good recommendation on what adhesive to use, as well?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

WA

07-30-14, 01:56 PM   #2  
No foam-type insulation will withstand that temperature but will instead become a fire hazard. You would have to use a mineral wool product such as Roxul AFB and because that material is soft you would then have to build an outer shell to protect the insulation. That shell would also have to be a relatively fireproof material such as sheet metal.

Even then the outer sheet metal case would still get warm. These modifications would also void any Underwriter's Laboratories listing for the oven and THAT could be a problem if the thing ever caused a fire. It would also be a difficult project with lots of room for failure.

My suggestion is to either get a different oven that doesn't have such a hot case or to learn to use the one you have in a safe manner.

Group Moderator

NC

07-30-14, 02:45 PM   #3  
I would not try it! Toaster ovens are designed for short term intermittent use and rely to a certain extent on the heat being able to rapidly escape.

Search this Thread