Upstairs room brings temp up

Old 07-29-14, 05:25 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Upstairs room brings temp up

I have a 2 story house that was built in 1995. There are 2 bedrooms with a bathroom between them as well as another "play room" with a hallway connecting them that's only 10 or so feet long.

In the play room there is an attic access door (west). In the attic the south side of the room is easily accessible. Back to the inside of the room, the south side wall, the previous owners thought it would be a good idea to cut a cubby hole for a tv to sit in as well as some shelving on each side. Well they only put a batt or two of insulation and even then didn't do a good job or it. Also, the way they framed the shelving, the only thing exposed to the attic is Sheetrock, other than what the Sheetrock is attached two. Because of this, my act would run from like 10 am to 10 pm. It would get up to 84 or so during the day.

Anyways, I got me some r-19 and "wrapped" applied or whatever you call it e best I could....with it being like 120 up there...or so it felt. Well this was a week ago and as the insulation job I did help a little bit...it still gets up to 78 or 80. Down stairs it's 70 all day.

So, any ideas? This room is just north of the front patio (that isn't insulated or course) the access door is weather sealed the best I can, one thinner piece on the inside edge and it will be sealed.

It's only going to be a high of like 70 tomorrow so I was hoping to have a game plan by tomorrow. I'm up to do anything

Thanks
BD

Old 07-29-14, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,963 Upvotes on 1,760 Posts
Fiberglass isn't going to do much to slow radiant heat from the attic. Hot air will still get through it. The cubby needs to be air sealed, if it isn't. That means drywall on the interior side of the cubby framing that is taped, at a minimum. You could also sheath the attic side of that area with a product like Tuff-r or Thermax (foil side toward the attic). Your access door could probably also benefit from the same type of ISO foam insulation on the back side. If the door opens toward you, you could cut a piece of Thermax to fit inside the attic side frame of that door. You often need to make a handle for the foam so that you can pull it in toward you. (like a piece of rope through the foam and through a board [drill 2 holes in the board and tie a knot] that's on the back side).

Really, that whole wall that faces the attic could benefit from the Thermax on the attic side of the framing. You could also be gaining heat from the ceiling in the upstairs rooms.

Enjoy the nice weather... you guys could probably use a break.

Old 07-30-14, 03:07 PM
B
Thanks for your informative response.

when you say the interior walls are taped what do you mean? I would assume I would need to apply some kind of tape or something to the seams of the exterior of the wall. What tape do you recommend?

The door opens out into the attic. What should I do in the case?

when you mentioned that the whole attic side could use the thermax, did you mean I should put up sheets of this stuff like you would sheet rock with the batting between the two? Or remove the batting and put it directly on the sheet rock then the insulation back up over it?

The roof was another of my concern. The room has vaulted walls, the ceiling is right under the roof of the house, with just enough room for insulation between the two. The cubby is shaped with the top side running with the pitch of the roof. I can feel some heat coming from the "ceiling" of the cubby...that can't be good lol

it rained all day here and if in the high 60 ' s I was going to stop by lowes and get some things to get started. I'm hoping this rain lingers into tomorrow and can finish up anything then.

what do you suggest being on my list of things needed?

Thanks again
BD

Old 08-01-14, 09:25 AM
B
Well, Lowes didn't have what I would prefer in the foam board department. all they had was 1/2'' board....I was hoping to get something a little thicker than that. My game plan was to get the board and almost apply it to the attic side of the wall like sheetrock, then foam seal the seams. of course I didn't get this far.

Instead I went up in my attic, with a clamp light (better than my rinky dink flashlight I was using last time) and figured I would see where I could improve my previous insulation job. to my surprise it all look decent. I mean the insulation is covering everything it should with the exception of needing to fit a few piece a little better which I plan to do today.

It going to be in the high 80's this weekend so im sure it will be around 77-80degrees upstairs.

again, any further advice would be appreciated.

thanks
BD

Old 08-07-14, 07:12 PM
B
Update....well I bought a sheet or thermax...or something of the equivalent , 1" thick. I cut it to fit in the door frame on the attic side. (The door opens towards the room). I had high hopes for this but it failed me....I had the shet cut a little bigger than the frame so it was a snug fit.

Today the temp outside peaked around 92-95 ish...when I got home at 5 it was 80 upstairs...so the thermostat said. Ac probably had been running since 11:00 ish ( rained last night, otherwise it would have started at 10 probably)

I. Running out of ideas....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: