is this asbestos?

Old 08-04-14, 12:25 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
is this asbestos?

I live in an old prewar building in Manhattan, and due to a leak in the apartment below me, they had to tear through my wall to patch up something in my kitchen.

I picked up a piece of it out of curiosity, and I'm really freaking out. Apparently my apartment, according to the landlord, was renovated in 2010 before I moved in, so no asbestos, but this sure looks like it to me based on previous home renovations. Are those hairs asbestos fibers? And I picked it up. What should my next step be?

Attached Images  
Old 08-04-14, 12:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 915 Upvotes on 773 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Hard to say from the picture. 5/8" Drywall has reinforcing fibers in it like you have in the picture. IIRC asbestos fibers are much smaller. Only way to be sure is to have it tested.

Old 08-04-14, 12:35 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much! I'm going to try to have the city come to test. Is it safe to stay in the apartment, eat food out of the fridge in that area in the meantime?

Old 08-04-14, 01:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Asbestos's main danger is inhalation and even then it's mostly harmful to those that are exposed to it long term [like certain occupations] IMO a little common sense goes a long ways and using your common sense should keep you safe. If the food is clean - I'd eat it

Old 08-04-14, 03:58 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I kind of doubt NYC is going to come and test your sample. You should find your own lab and send it out.

Old 08-04-14, 06:14 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Any fire rated drywall has fiberglass fibers in it to help hold the material together in the event of fire. As has been stated, if you really must know, without a doubt, test it but I would be willing to bet that you are not in an asbestos situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: