Air leaks around outlets

Old 03-17-01, 06:47 PM
Red face

I just brought quad-level house about 14 years old.
Air is leaking around outlets and switches & intercom
controls panel, it is most noticeable when the heater is running. I been using Dap Insulation foam in the outlet and switche boxs in the wall to seal the leaks is this ok? And can I stuff insulation in behind the intercom control panel to stop the leaks? Will hurt to spray the foam in the outlet box to seal around where the wire enter box?
And is normal for air to be drawn through the outlet box
when the heater is running? Sorry for so many question.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-01, 09:28 PM
Be careful selecting the spray foam you are using around electrical wiring. Some may have adverse affects on the plastic sheathing of the romex and the plastic insulation on the wire itself. A better way to block the draft would be to purchase the foam covers that slip around the outlet or switch and are totally covered by the cover plate when it is installed. You can find them at most hardware stores and any big box store. Or you can make your own using the foam egg cartons. Just cut them to fit.

Old 03-18-01, 07:03 PM
Question

I had already done couple of the outlet boxes, should I pull the outlet out and clean the foam off? (power off of course). Would be ok to use the foam for between the outlet box and drywall as there are huge gaps where the drywall was cut? The spray foam is by Dap and says it ok to use
around outlets....I can get you exact # of Dap of that would
help. But will make the foam gasket as you suggested. What would you suggest to stop the drafts from around the intercom control box, as it is about 4" by 6". Foam board or fiberglass insulation stuff in the wall?

Thanks for the help & suggestions
Sorry about all the question.

Old 03-19-01, 01:27 AM
If Dap says it's OK to use this product around outlets, I won't argue with them. Leave what you have already put in. Fiberglass should work fine around the intercom control box. Just be careful not to break any of the wires while you are installing it. Or you might go ahead and use the Dap foam there, if that would be easier to get into the cavity.

Old 03-19-01, 07:10 AM
Resqman
Visiting Guest
Get some foam-in-a-can and go underneath the house and up into the attic. Look for all the places where uitlities pass into the framing. Fill the hole around the utilities. This will stop the air from getting into the wall cavities. This will work on the intercomm system where the foam outlet covers don't fit.

Old 03-19-01, 10:58 AM
Question

Lefty,
I talked to Dap tech support they say the spray foam is fine on the outside of the outlet box but not inside. They said it would not hurt the insulation of the wire but should not contact the bare wire, being water base I would assume that it might make the copper corrode. So will go ahead a remove what I have done. If I cannot find the foam
covers, can I use the "pink board insulation" and cut to fit?

Thanks for help & info

Old 03-20-01, 08:41 AM
Visiting Guest
The foam that lefty is speaking of is only about 1/8" thick. You can buy these ready made. Sometimes the utility company even gives them away.

What you're experiencing is called infiltration. It is a common problem and you are probably one of few people who do anything about it.

Good luck.