Thermal Barrier at top of insulated panel needed?

Old 10-05-14, 09:28 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermal Barrier at top of insulated panel needed?

I have these insulated panels that have OSB laminated to the fronts as a thermal barrier. At the tops facing the floor above there is 2 inches of foam that is not covered by OSB. Does this need to be covered with a thermal barrier if it will be above a suspended ceiling.
Name:  2 inch foam at top of wall.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  35.9 KB

Old 10-05-14, 09:48 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'll need a more complete description of all that is up there.
OSB isn't a thermal barrier by itself. When taped and sealed it serves as an air barrier.

One story, two story and how does the SIP end up facing the floor above and still be above a suspended ceiling? Is this in a conditioned basement?

Bud

Old 10-05-14, 01:00 PM
P
Thanks for the reply. This is in a basement. The OSB is also covered with wall paneling and faces the basement which is air conditioned and heated. The 2 inch wide strips are at the top of the panels and are facing up towards the floor joist and floor boards of the upstairs. Just electrical wires, junction boxes and hvac ducts are above.

Old 10-05-14, 03:14 PM
B
I think I still need help. If the basement is heated and air conditioned and I assume whatever is upstairs is also fully conditioned, then why insulated panels across the basement ceiling? If both spaces are similarly conditioned then there will be little concern over heat or moisture.

Basically it doesn't sound like your ceiling/floor interface is a thermal barrier.

Is this a single family dwelling or multi-unit building?

Bud

Old 10-05-14, 05:34 PM
P
I'm sorry. I should have made my description more clear. These panels are on the walls not the ceiling. There is no insulation in the above floor joists. The picture is the top of one of the wall panels that are on the concrete block walls. The 2 inch foam is facing up toward the floor joists. Single family dwelling.

Old 10-05-14, 06:48 PM
B
I knew I was lost.
The rim joist above the drop ceiling needs to be fully insulated which could include covering the top of those foam panels. Some people will cut pieces of rigid foam with space around the edges to allow can spray foam to seal them in place. That area is important because it is above ground and exposed to the cold.

Bud

Old 10-05-14, 08:32 PM
P
Ok. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-06-14, 03:54 AM
B
Thanks for being patient with me .

Bud

Search this Thread