Protecting against protruding roofing nails

Old 10-10-14, 07:59 AM
Protecting against protruding roofing nails

We have a barn with a loft. Lately we've decided to make the loft more of a living space for the kids to hang out. However, the main clearance is only about 6 1/2 feet, with the outside edges much lower. Unfortunately, the roofing nails protrude and I'm worried someone will bang their head on them. I don't want to drywall against the studs because we would lose so much space (and I think it would feel more cramped). What I'd like to do is some sort of styrofoam (or any material) insulation that we could put between the studs and to cover the nails. Is there such a product? Thoughts/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-14, 08:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Foam can not be left exposed, it's a fire hazard, more accurately if there is a fire the gases given off by the foam are toxic.
The area between the rafters is unusable anyway so your not loosing any real head room.
To do it right you would also need a ridge vent, soffit vents, baffles and insulation.

Old 10-10-14, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

What type of attic ventilation [if any] does the barn have? Unless you intend to duck between rafters, the 1/2" of drywall shouldn't make any difference. Drywall painted a light color generally makes the space appear larger.

Old 10-10-14, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Or just take a grinder that has a 1/16" thick cutting wheel and cut off all the nails you're worried about.

Old 10-10-14, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Don't pound the nails over - that would make the next re-roof unpleasant.

Old 10-10-14, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I spent quite a bit of time goofing in a barn when I was a kid. No safety systems. rusty nails, grain shoots, hay lofts only accessible by climbing over rafters strung across the width of the structure. Climbed down 3 stories through a hay bale shoot to the ground story only with a rope to hang on too. Sometimes, alright most times, I rode a bike without a helmet. Somehow made it this far.

Not to disrespect the OP, but sometimes kids will scrape their knee's or bump their heads. Its part of the learning and growing process. We can only protect so much.

Take 2x2 and nail to the inside of the rafters. Then cut drywall to fit inside the rafters and nail to the 2x2 so that it is inset to the main body of the rafter.

Old 10-11-14, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Take 2x2 and nail to the inside of the rafters. Then cut drywall to fit inside the rafters and nail to the 2x2 so that it is inset to the main body of the rafter.
This is now my favorite option of those provided to you.