insulating first floor only of a multi family

Old 10-11-14, 12:57 PM
insulating first floor only of a multi family

I own a three story multi-family New England house built in the 1870s and live in the first floor unit. I want to insulate my unit. I had an energy auditor come out and he told me I cannot blow in dense pack cellulose on the first floor only, because a house this old likely doesn't have fire stops and the exterior walls in all three floors need to be insulated at once. Another auditor from the same company told a friend of mine that has a similar house build the same year as my house that he does have fire stops. My guy said to insulate the attic and that that will save 35% of the heating bill for my unit, but I don't understand how insulating the attic which is three floors away is going to save me money. How do I know for sure whether I have fire stops? If it turns out that I do have fire stops, could I insulate my own ceiling and exterior walls on the first floor only as opposed to the entire house? If I don't have fire stops, could I create a barrier that will allow cellulose to be dense packed? Could I use DIY slow rise foam to insulate first floor only, even if I do not have fire stops?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-14, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
None of this makes any sense to me. That said, I would not insulate the ceiling between your unit and the next floor even though it means you'll lose a little heat to them. Since you own the building, why not insulate all of the walls and the attic? We have tenants ask all the time how much it costs to heat and cool our units and being able to say they are well insulated goes a long way.

Old 10-12-14, 09:26 PM
with national grid intensives it might work out that I get to insulate the entire house. Auditor is working out the estimate which is apparently very complicated. Its been 5 days. I was asking about 1st floor only b/c if it turns out that blowing in the whole house is $$$$ and I cant afford it, how do I do something about the 1st floor?
I am not liking the dense packed cellulose which is what they do under national grid incentives. The house is so old. Who is to guarantee the stuff doesn't just leak out, settles in a major way leaving top of walls un-insulated. Also if i have to take out an outlet, say replace a plug, what happens to cellulose when I take the box out? I am liking the 2 part foam much better but the incentives won't cover it.

Old 10-13-14, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why would you need to remove the box when replacing a plug? The electrical box should hold the cellulose in the wall while the cover and device is removed. Cellulose does settle some - I don't know to what extent.

Old 10-15-14, 08:03 AM
I am realizing that before any insulation is done all electrical work should be completed.