Foam Insulation for a garage door

Old 10-11-14, 07:11 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Foam Insulation for a garage door

hi gents, would appreciate any advice and direction you may offer. I would like to insulate my garage door as my bedroom is located directly above the garage and can get chilly during the winter months, along with hot during the summer.

Lowes offers Styrofoam insulation that has a silver foil coating on both sides, do you guys think if I glue this to the inside panels of the garage this will be my best option? will the silver on the side I glue to the garage panel offer any benefit?

or

home depot offers a foam insulation with silver coating only on the one side and a plastic sheet coating on the other. if I choose this type of insulation would I glue the plastic sheet side to the garage door which would leave the silver on the inside of the garage keeping any heat inside the garage?

what kind of adhesive or glue should I use, PL300?

I was thinking to use 1.5" thick as I have a 2" slot in the garage door.

any advice is appreciate, thanks everyone

cheers
bp

Old 10-11-14, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Both those stores should have actual garage door insulation kits, though if you don't mind cutting, I found buying regular styrofoam insulation is much cheaper.

Sounds like you may be describing poly-iso foam panels. Is the foam yellowish? They are a better insulator than regular white styrofoam, but not that much better for your application due to cost.

Many garage doors have just styrofoam panels with a plastic or vinyl film applied to the interior, bare foam against the steel of the door. I think it's more for looks and cleaning as opposed to insulation or vapor penetration.

Of the 2 you list, I'd go with the HD version, foil to the exterior.

I don't think you really need the PL if you used a faced panel. Any silicone caulk/adhesive would work just fine.

Also, I think more importantly, do you have the door air sealed with the vinyl fin weatherstripping around the edges?

Old 10-11-14, 11:43 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You will get more bang for your buck as well as keep the bedroom warmer by adding insulation to the ceiling of the garage instead of the door. Garage doors can't really be insulated that will because of the hinges and other mechanisms on them. The ceiling can be completely insulated and sealed very easily and effectively.

Old 10-11-14, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Actually, going from a typical single skin door with no insulation, to a well sealed insulated door can make a huge difference. Of course, if the door is a dark color it won't help as much.

I finally replaced my old wooden door back in VA with a 2" insulated door from Clopay. Mainly I did it to cut down on maintenance, not because it NEEDED to be replaced. Oh, and the fact that we had a mis-ordered 12' door on markdown when I worked at HD. Couldn't pass up getting a $1000 door for less than $500...lol. Added the finned weatherstripping as well and it made a big difference in the temps in the garage both summer and winter. Also helped with the room temp above though the ceiling was already insulated (8" batt IIRC) and finished. Prob 20 degree drop in summer temps in the garage and maybe a 4-5 degree improvement in the bedroom. A small electric heater could keep it comfortable even in below freezing temps.

I do agree that insulating the ceiling, if it isn't already, would be a very good idea. Not so hard if it isn't finished, but most houses (in my experience) that have a living space above the garage, there is already insulation and finished ceilings. I'm sure it's been code for at least 20 yrs if not more.

Old 10-11-14, 08:00 PM
B
yes that is correct, the ceiling is insulated but I just want to add some extra insulation by doing the door. The garage gets pretty cold and hot depending on the season.

thanks for the advice gents, some good points u both mentioned. Yes the main reason why I am going this route instead of the insulation kits is its a huge cost difference. Both of the insulation boards im referring to is white Styrofoam. HD offers some pink stuff that is dow corming, but the cost is almost 3 times as much.

can I ask why you recommend the HD insulation with the silver being on one side over the lowes stuff which has silver on both sides?

Old 10-11-14, 08:12 PM
B
Old 10-11-14, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Well...mostly price and ugliness. I'd think the HD stuff is a bit cheaper and I'd hate to have aluminum foil looking at me from the inside. Is the R value any different?

Old 10-11-14, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Didn't see yer latest post. HD has a terrible site. But for the cost difference...I'd say HD.

Old 10-12-14, 06:17 AM
B
ok thanks for the clarification. so you think there is no benefit to having the silver foil also glued to the garage panel side?

my theory is that in the summer time, will that side of the foil reflect and keep heat out of the garage? in the winter, the foil on the inside of the garage would keep the heat inside the garage.

keep in mind the green (plastic sticker on Styrofoam) side of the HD material will be the side that is glued so its not the side that will be visible, the other side is just plain silver (silver sticker glued to Styrofoam) which is the side that will be visible. I am assuming this is what you meant in your previous post?

R-value wise they are very similar in the 1.5" thickness.

Old 10-12-14, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
No, actually I meant foil to the garage door panel and plastic film to the inside. More for looks than anything else I guess, but foil to the outside would reflect more heat in the summer by my thinking. I don't think having it facing in would be really keep any more heat in. What you want to do is keep cold OUT, unless you have a heated and cooled garage. For cold, air sealing will probably make the biggest difference.

Like I said, I could keep my last garage comfortable with just a little 1500W heater once I replaced and weatherstripped the door.

When it comes down to it, it probably doesn't matter which way it's installed.

Sorry, missed the green film part! Geez, don't they have anything with a white or clear film? I wouldn't want the green facing in, since that would darken the space. Not that I would want the silver either really. lol

Ya know, you may want to ask a simple question about which way should the foil face, in the insulation Forum? There are some experts that may never see your question in this one.

Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Old 10-15-14, 05:01 PM
B
not getting any replies in the other thread.

Old 10-15-14, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm, thats kinda odd. I'll see what's up.

Well, in the meantime any info at the manufacturers site? IIRC you want the foil towards the warmer side. Unless you would be heating the garage often and to 70 degrees or so, I would think summer time would be the bigger issue. Easier to warm it a little than to cool it off once it's hot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: